Brrrr, It’s getting colder, and we got our first snow fall today!!!! I am so excited to announce the Snow Cold Beanie Free Crochet Pattern to help keep you warm on these chilly days!
The Snow Cold Beanie is worked using beginner- friendly tapestry crochet technique. If you’ve never done tapestry crochet before this pattern is a great intro to it!
This pattern, as all of my patterns, has been fully tested by various amazing testers of different skill levels.
Save to Ravelry
Premium Ad-Free PDF
You can also get the premium ad-free PDF version of the Snow Cold Beanie pattern on Etsy or Ravelry for a small cost. The Premium version comes with a photo tutorial of colour changes and the written instructions as well as the graph!
Snow Cold Beanie Free Crochet Pattern
- Approx. 180 yds worsted weight yarn in white
- Approx. 60 yds worsted weight yarn in blue
- I used *Bernat Premium in White and Baby Blue
- US size H/5.0mm crochet hook – I used my fave *Furls Odyssey
- Scissors – I love these *scissors!
- Yarn Needle – I use these *Clover needles.
- Faux Fur or Yarn Pom Pom (optional) – I used these *Pom pom’s from Amazon
14 stitches x 14 rows = 4″ square Pattern used for gauge: SC
Fits standard teen/woman ideal for head circumference of 21″-22.5″.
- US Terminology
- The body of the hat is worked off a graph. Be sure to read the notes in body of the pattern for instructions.
- All CH 1 do not count as a stitch.
- You may need to change hook size to meet gauge.
- Tension in tapestry crochet does tend to be tight.
- CH – Chain
- SC – Single Crochet
- SCBLO – Single Crochet Back Loop Only
- HDC – Half-Double Crochet
- HDCBLO – Half Double Crochet in the back loop only
- SLST – Slip Stitch
- ST(S) – Stitch(es)
- YO – Yarn Over
Hat Brim – Worked in rows
Row 1- Ch 9, HDC in 2nd Ch from hook, HDC in each St across, turn. (8 HDC)
Row 2 – Ch 1, HDCBLO in each St across, turn. (8 HDC)
Row 3 – Approx. 45 – Ch 1, HDCBLO in each St across, turn. (8 HDC)
Work until your brim is 19″ long. For me that was a total of 45 rows.
Hat Body – Worked in the round
Hat Body Notes
- The body of the hat is worked from a graph. The graph is worked from bottom up right to left, repeated 4 times total to complete each row, for a total of 72 stitches in each round.
- Work in the back loops only (BLO) to make sure the stitches line up
- Each square on the graph is one sc.
- Each round will begin with Ch 1, and first sc in the same stitch as the Ch 1.
- Each round will end by Sl St into the first St of the same round.
- You can do more or less rows at the top to adjust to your preferred height.
- After the last round, tie off and leave a long tail.
- To work the colour work, be sure to carry your unworked yarn and alternate back and forth according to the graph.
To close the hat weave the tail through each ST at the top of the hat, pull tightly to close the hole. I do a couple of whip stitches to hold it closed. Tie off and weave in all ends. At this time, you can add a pom pom if you wish.
I hope you’ll love your Snow Cold Beanie! Thank you for stopping by and don’t forget to check out my other patterns here.
If you’d like to stay In The Loop with all things Through The Loop Yarn Craft join the Newsletter for a special gift and updates of pattern releases and special offers!
I so appreciate your love and support!
*Indicates an affiliate link. which means I may receive commissions if you choose to purchase through links I provide (at no extra cost to you). Thank you for supporting the work I put into this site!. Read my full disclosure here.